Thursday, March 8, 2012

What's it like?

Sometimes I get asked, "What's it like with two small babies under 3 years of age?" Although each day is very different, here is as close to a typical day as you can get with a 7 week old and almost three year old:
1:45- To be technical our day sometimes begins as early as 1:45a.m. these days, and it's not due to Sam Nolan! Delaney has been waking up at about 1:45ish, either due to an accident (we're wearing panties all night and day now-except for #2) or she misses her daddy and needs him to sleep with her. So, he gets up, which sometimes wakes Sam Nolan and I up, which makes for bottle time. :) Then, we all go back to sleep.
4:00-Sam Nolan usually wakes up for a little bit more bottle and goes back to sleep.
5:00-We all wake up and our day starts. Eric has been really good about taking Sam Nolan and Delaney into the den and watching cartoons. This gives me a little bit more time to sleep without Sam Nolan in the bed with me. Yes, this is against the rules, but I know it won't last for long and...oh well.
6:00-I wake up, we all talk about the cartoons, breakfast, and Delaney cuddles with me while Sam Nolan cuddles with Eric
6:30-Eric starts getting ready. I dress Delaney (clothes, hair, etc.) while Sam Nolan sleeps or watches us.
7:00-Eric leaves for work. If it's Monday or Wednesday Delaney goes to school. If not, I get Sam Nolan dressed. Delaney plays or reads books until I get a bath. I makes bottles for the day, wash them, and pick up around the house.
7:45- I get ready with Sam Nolan and Delaney in the bathroom with me. :) Delaney gives me toys, jewelry, etc. in the bath tub. We usually have the conversation:
"Mommy, do you want a bracelet (or any other item she finds)?"
"No, not right now. Don't put it in the water."
"You need a bracelet."
"No, we don't put it in the bath tub. Wait a second and I'll put it on when I get out."
She gets too close to the tub and plays around with it.
Then, she accidently drops it in the tub.
"It was an accident. I get it."
"No, I'm getting out now."
8:30-Sam Nolan takes a little nap in his swing. Delaney and I play with dolls, read books, talk about what we want to do during the day. This is usually our long play time together. Sometimes, we go places to look around and shop or breakfast at Burger King (it has an indoor playground where you can also eat). Jack's is her favorite, but she says it's too "crowtin." (crowded)  This morning, we went to the park and to the library for storytelling. (The picture above is from today) She didn't care for the storytelling as much as I thought she would. There were too many kids trying to listen to a soft-spoken young lady. :)
10:00-Snack time. Sam Nolan wakes up and has a bottle. Delaney eats princess yogurt or something like that. I wash bottles, dishes, and clothes.
10:30- I have been giving Delaney crafts to do. We start doing them together and then she wants to do them "by herself." She absolutely loves painting with watercolors or fingerpaints. We are going to attempt Easter eggs tomorrow, so we will see how that goes.
11:30-Lunch. Everyone eats (Sam Nolan drinks his bottle). He is eating about 4 oz. at 7 weeks old.
12:00-Nap time. I am lucky that they both are usually good about sleeping at this time. Sam Nolan can sleep for 3-4 hours at this nap. Delaney is good to sleep 2. Her routine for nap time is to use the potty, I read 2 books to her, then she sleeps with them. I love that she loves books! When they're asleep, I try to blog or get on pinterest to find fun ideas to do with kids. I also do more laundry.
2:00-Delaney wakes up, we watch Max and Ruby or whatever cartoon is on Nick Jr. It is definitely worth the 5-6 dollars extra for that channel.  Sometimes, she helps me with chores like folding clothes or picking up her toys.
3:00-Sam Nolan wakes up, takes a bottle, and we all go into Delaney's room to play, read Tag books (those are the best books ever) and sing.
4:30-We call this "Mommy t.v. time". This is a designated 30 minutes that Delaney knows she can't watch what she wants.There's nothing in particular that I watch, but it's just a time that I can relax with them and not feel like I have to be up doing something.
5:00- I feed Sam Nolan, while Delaney feeds her "baby." If I'm cooking, she comes in the kitchen with me to help while Sam Nolan watches. I am glad her "kitchen" is in ours because she loves to pretend like she's making whatever I'm cooking, too.
5:30-Eric gets home. We all eat and play.
6:30-Bath time. Sam Nolan gets a bath every other night, but Delaney gets one every night.
7:30-Eric feeds Sam Nolan while Delaney watches Dora! Of course. I give goodnight kisses and go to bed!
8:00- Eric reads two books to Delaney. Delaney goes to bed. Sam Nolan and Eric relax. :)
8:30- Eric put Sam Nolan down for bed.
10:00-Sam Nolan eats again. Eric feeds him.
Sometimes Sam Nolan wakes up and gets restless before 1:45ish, but sometimes he sleeps really well! Everyday is definitely an adventure, that can sometimes be tiring. But it is so much fun being with these two children who have such amazingly wonderful personalities. They are so different right now, and I wonder if Sam Nolan will remain as laid back as he is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment